The Racine's

The Racine's

Thursday, March 15, 2012

How we got here

So I'm going to go back and talk about how we got here for those just now reading the blog. Heath and I have been trying to get pregnant for about 20 months. After we had been trying a year with no pregnancy we went to the doctor. I figured nothing was wrong it was just taking us longer than most people. I was wrong. There was a problem. And so began the roller coaster of trying new medicines and getting them regulated.

All this time Heath and I had talked about adoption some but weren't really sure if that was what we wanted to do. In God's grace He put an adoption consultant in my Bible study group. I began talking to her some but we still weren't sure. Two weeks ago Heath and I met with her and her husband and asked a lot of questions. We decided to wait to decide about adoption until we had some other things figured out. The next day as we were talking about it though, it kind of came to a point where we were like "what are we waiting on?" If this is what God has called us to do then we can't ignore it-no matter what our circumstances are. So that night we decided it was time to proceed.

Later that week we got the word we were not hoping for. The medicine that we hoped was working, wasn't. In so many ways that news was devastating, but in God's goodness He had already led us to make the decision to adopt. Infertility has been hard-there's no denying it and I am very honest about it (this whole blog thus far has been about the ups and downs we have faced), but God has opened this door for us and we are excited to see what He has in store for us!

So what now? We have chosen to do a domestic adoption. Next week we will have our initial home study. When that's complete we will apply to agencies. From there we will do fundraising and be trusting God to provide a baby for us. We can't wait to be parents!

Let me say this to close, Heath and I both became Christians in college (Heath his freshman year, me my sophomore year). We both would have said we were Christians, but our lives told a much different story. Your life is a dead give away to what you really believe. In college we both realized we really were sinners and were in need of Jesus to be our Savior and Lord. It wasn't about "cleaning up" our lives, it was about Jesus. All that to say He is Lord over our infertility. We don't understand and have struggled at times, but He is Lord and we will trust Him. Please pray for us as we start down this road of adoption!

1 comment:

  1. Mary Leslie, SO excited for you guys. This is the first of your blog that I have seen, got here through facebook. I am so sorry that the last two years have held so much struggle. However, so encouraged by your perspective. One of my very close friends is going through the process of international adoption right now and it has been such a beautiful thing to watch. So excited for God to provide a child for you guys. Our God is generous and faithful, this we can be sure of.

    ReplyDelete