The Racine's

The Racine's

Thursday, February 23, 2012

Luke 1

In Luke 1 it talks about Zechariah and Elizabeth. It says that both of them were "upright in the sight of God, observing all the Lord's commandments and regulations blamelessly." It also says "they had no children, because Elizabeth was barren and they were both well along in years." So here is a couple who loves the Lord and obeys Him and walks with Him, yet they do not have children (which I have to think is a great desire of their hearts). I think sometimes when I read the Bible and I read these accounts of people from so long ago, I forget that they were real and had real desires and emotions. However this week as I read this my heart hurt for them that they had to endure infertility. In some ways it brought me great comfort too that I am not alone in this and great men and women of the faith have walked before me in this very trial.

There is a significant change in the story though when God reveals to them that they indeed are going to have a child. This is where is gets really good for me and the thing I want to share about most. Elizabeth gave birth to John the Baptist and he is the one God chose to lead the way for Jesus...what an unbelievable calling. The thing that sticks out to me in this is God's perfect timing and the fact that He was accomplishing something much greater than what Zechariah and Elizabeth could see.

If they are anything like Heath and I, they had longed for and waited for this baby for so long. Maybe at times they even asked God why He wasn't allowing it. But all along God had a bigger plan for their child, bigger than they could probably even imagine. Had John the Baptist been born years earlier, he might not have been able to fulfill the task God had called him to-the task of preparing the way for Jesus.

This all got me thinking. I want a baby so bad. I wanted to start our family a couple of years ago, but God has a greater purpose in causing us to wait. What if when our child is 10 there is a child in his/her class who needs to see and hear the gospel and God is going to allow our child to be that for them. What if there is a certain people group that will be closed to outsiders coming in, but when our child is 23 and trying to decide what to do in life that country open up and he/she is able to go be a missionary there. I can get on board with that. I have no idea what God has planned for our children. My prayer is they will come to know Him and then be used to make Him known throughout the Earth. God knows what He's doing and He has an agenda to reach the world. I believe He is using my infertility to fulfill His plan for the nations to know Him. We will have children someday, whether it's biological or through adoption, and my prayer is that through this time of (hard) waiting, He is accomplishing a much bigger purpose than I could ever imagine for my child.

1 comment:

  1. awesome perspective! very encouraging! praying for you! miss you!

    ReplyDelete